Niddy Noddy

This is my niddy noddy.

Yes, thats the genuine and traditional name for this piece of equipment, I'm not making it up or being silly. (as if I would do such a thing).

It was made for me by my lovely old dad.

I also have a lazy Kate (actually, 2 lazy Kates, one large and one small), but not (unfortunately) a swift (umbrella or otherwise). I also have a spinning wheel, though it doesn't have the type of spindle on which a princess could prick her finger. Though sometimes spinning does send me to sleep, just a little bit (in a good, I'm-very-relaxed kind of way).

I will post further, soon I hope, explaining the use of the niddy noddy (to those of you who don't already know). (I admit you are probably in the majority.) It is indeed very useful - for spinners that is. You might think of some other interesting uses for it.

Its fascinating how any area of interest develops its own more-or-less esoteric terminology. Language games. I could go on about skeins, sett and draw-downs, raddling and sleying. I could explain how 2-ply and 4-ply mean quite a different thing to a spinner than they mean (or at least used to mean) to knitters.
But I wont, because that would be booooring.

During school terms I attend a weaving course at a local adult education college - which is great, and ensures I have at least one day a week being creative. However I also have a loom and other equipment at home, and am trying to make more time to enjoy using them. All part of my on-going mission to work and worry and stress less and live more.

This blog will be about weaving, spinning, knitting. It began with this, and was also inspired by Stuntmother's knitting blog. I hope to share with and get ideas from other people - and to be inspired to finish projects (!) and to keep a record of them.

So this will be intermittent, then? Ha ha. But with lots of pics.

Comments

Ho funny Lettuce. I too wa inspired to make up a second crafty blog this weekend. I thought if I had one it would force me to make more things instead of just selling fabrics and blogging (both fun but not very creative). I shall enjoy looking at this blog and have linked you on my crafty old thing already :-)
Oh sorry about the typos, baby on breast as usual (one finger typing!!) :-/
How did you manage to have a different profile for each blog? I tried but failed miserably!
Tanya said…
as you know I like anything with noddy in it, yummy site Letty..
Well I have managed to remove my profile but haven't a clue how to put in other info. How do you see someone elses HTML? Can you email me yours? donna@vintagefabrics.eclipse.co.uk
Identikit said…
What a strange looking thing. Which way up does it go?

Whilst I have no interest in weaving I am always interested in learning new languages so I will be a regular visitor to learn to speak NiddyNoddy or whatever the language itself is called.

"Lazy Kate sett down at her spinning wheel and drew down her 2-ply until her skein was quite raddled and sleyed (or is it slew?) by the spindle that loomed in front of her."

I think I need a few more lessons before I become fluent but I'm getting the gist of it.

Sorry, I'm only teasing. I'm sure it is a very therapeutic activity.