Buttons

I signed up for a short, 3-week course, which has replaced my usual weaving class (now finished for the summer).

I vaguely thought I might continue with the tea cosy which is still not finished (in fact, only just started really).

I should have known better. "Tassels & buttons" might sound like something which might just be forgone, in order to get on with other weaving. Not these tassels and buttons. Mandy (she of the inspirational shed) creates inspirational tassels - tassels like no tassels you have seen before - and the buttons are pretty good too, especially for someone with a button fetish such as mine.

I have now had two great Thursdays, both of which have started extremely miserably but been redeemed by tassels and buttons, Mandy's inspiration and the lovely group.







The buttons in the first pic. are crotcheted. I especially like the big one, and the pale chenille one which looks like an acorn cup.







The buttons in the second picture are "Dorset buttons" - done with a needle and thread, around curtain rings. The orange one was my first and is a bit clunky. I was very pleased with the red and cream ones, esp. as the red is chenille which contrasts nicely with the creamy silk.




Someone in this week's class (a very kind someone, who brought in some old buttons from her own collection for me to have) said that there must be hope for a world where people will sit around for a day making buttons, for fun.

Blog about tassels to follow, in due course.

Comments

Sarah said…
GREAT buttons, please a post explaining exactly how to make them.
lettuce said…
okay - will do!
Tanya said…
Yes I love the cream and red, very cool..
Dizzy said…
Really trendy buttons. Would definitly cheer up a boot sale cardie/coat/hat/bag.
lettuce said…
hi dizzy!!! nice to see you over here. xx
Gorgeous you multitalented lady you :-)
joyce said…
can we meet for some wine and buttons?