Shed string

Lots of pictures coming up. This is my friend Mandy's work.


She is amazingly gifted and creative. She is my weaving/spinning (+ textiles) tutor, as well as a friend and near-neighbour who I am glad to be getting to know better.

This is her shed string.


Her shed, in and of itself, is great, and has inspired me to a shed of my own. Click here for pics.

Her shed string - which currently decorates her
shed - is as un-string-like as her shed is un-shed-like.

Inspired by her garden through the changing seasons, she has spun this string based on raw hemp (and this is the hemp other spinners might be tempted to throw away)

incorporating other things (other fibres, lacew, bits of fabric... ) according to the mood/inspiration.

This is early Spring-string:























































Forsythia











An early misty Spring morning



















Forget-me-nots


Isn't it wonderful?

These yarns would make really gorgeous bags and baskets. But it also looks great hung inside the door of Mandy's shed!

I know she has added a summer collection, I'll pop round and ask if I can take more pics. for you.

Comments

Beautiful, how does she make string look so wonderful? I love them, more please :-)
ramblingwoman said…
I LOVE these too Lettuce. How does Mandy come up with such great ideas? I would never have thought of decorating string! People are just so darned creative, it's amazing. Yes, more pictures please.....

I've just looked at all of this blog and enjoyed the peg bags (as you know!) - no need to wonder what to get for me for Christmas now! (have you finished the tea cosy yet?)
lettuce said…
It is great isn't it? and she doesn't just decorate the string, she MAKES (ie spins) it herself.

No.... nowhere near finishing the T cosy yet, and its at college so will have to wait till Sept.

I have been making tassels.

!!!!!!!!!

Will post pics soon.
Sarah said…
AAAAAHHHHHH...sigh....I ADORE string, how about big buttons made from shed string.....I is dribbling here.
Gretel said…
ha, I thought of Muddy Red Shoes as soon as I saw this...gorgeous gorgeous string...little knitted purses and handbags...if I only had the time...