recycling

I've been crocheting with plastic bags again, inspired partly by the new orange Sainsbury's bags. I tend to carry re-usable bags of various kinds folded and stached away and avoid adding to our collection of bags-under-the-sink, bags-in-the-cupboard, bags-in-the-recycling-bin. But M doesn't.....

I've made a couple recently for friends. One I forgot to take a photo of.... it was a bit slapdash and wibbly, i hope he liked it. These tend to come out a bit lopsided anyway, esp. as I'm not actually very good at crochet, I rather make it up as i go along.

Anyway, this is the second:



Its quite small and I was rather pleased with the shape.


A town in the UK is going completely plastic-bag-free for a minimum of 6 months.
Excellent eh? Click here for details.

If the idea catches on, maybe plastic bag bags will become collectible and things of great value?


I've also got a new technique for cutting the bags into long strips - my first textiles tutor showed me this, and its an adaptation of a Japanese paper-cutting technique I learned at a paper-spinning workshop - I'd not seen its possibilities. If anyone reading wants to know how, leave a comment and I'll do a post on it. Its much quicker, results in more even strips, and is much much less rustley, esp. for when watching TV with irascible family members.

Comments

natural attrill said…
Oooh, what wonderfully bright colours!
I am just packaging up your parcel so it will be on its journey to london soon! (hopefully!)
Toby.
I didn't even realise it was made of plastic bags till you mentioned it....ahem, can you make me one too? ;-)
Unknown said…
I thiink your bag is great . I have been knitting some bags with carrier bags but would love to try crochet and think i will give it a go.P I would really appreciate if you would share the cutting the bag technique
lettuce said…
will do margaret....