spinning

We only have a few weeks left till my textiles class finishes for the summer.
(which is a very bad thing)

I have ideas for other projects.... plenty of ideas..... but just can't be arsed at the moment with all the planning, working out, maths etc......

so, in the meantime, I'm spinning.

Happy, in my trance, spinning

and spinning

and spinning.

I began textiles classes before LG was born. After her birth I missed a term. Then I went back to the class - an evening class at the time - and spun and spun and spun. LG wasn't sleeping too well, she wasn't a very happy baby and that 2 hours in the evening was MY time, and I'd drift off into the hypnotic relaxation of the wheel and spin and spin and spin.

Every now and then my textiles tutor would ask me if I had plans for all the wool I was spinning - was it for a particular project? what would I do with it? I had no idea, I was just happy spinning.

And here I am again!

I'm spinning raw (tussah) silk. I bought it some time ago, and its been sitting quietly, waiting.

Its not the easiest fibre to spin, being very short tufty bits - with lumps and bumps and little bits of cocoon in it.


But it makes a nice yarn, with slubby texture


After I've spun a bit more, I'll probably ply it, and it should look pretty much like this:

And then I'll decide what to do with it!

Comments

natural attrill said…
Looks lovely, I like things with lumpy bumpy bits (like me!!) Sounds like this spinning is very theraputic. Looking forward to seeing more.....
Penny.
x
natural attrill said…
Hi,
I've got some soya fibers, if you would be interested in swapping them for something? They are very soft and silky.
Toby.
I love that raw silk. I can quite understand the therapeutic nature of spinning. How wonderful to go off into your own world for an hour or so with your own thoughts with no interruption. What will you do when the class finishes?!!!

Happy spinning ...
Sue