Zero









Zero inches.

Not even any cm.

But I've been busy and out and about and, in particular, to the Knitting and Stitching show. I'd missed a few years, went last year, saw and bought gorgeous STUFF - and so too this year.

I saw the Water Aid knitted river, pictured above.



And these. Aren't they extraordinary? They are entirely embroidered, the first by Helen Parkinson and the second by Owen Davies. I'm not sure that I'd want to own one and I know I wouldn't want to make one, but they are rather marvellous.











One of the best things about the show is that it is so varied, and as well as the above, and some lovely quilting (which I couldn't photograph), there were graduate shows which included this artwork in paper (or could have been silk - the artist, Marion Glover, wasn't there at the time for me to ask):






This is a picture I liked made in felt, by A Scolding:







There was also an exhibition of the most exquisite shibori dying by Hiroshi Murase:
































I bought some fibres I had specifically been after:




alpaca and silk noils for spinning and some lovely lovely hemp for plying - I'll use these for weaving or knitting.

I'm going to use some of the hemp to have a go at this string bag



And finally, some gorgeous Christmas pressies. These are made by Thai hill tribes, and sold by a couple in England who run the charity established by their daughter who died tragically young.


These bags were only £11.00, they are beautiful and a really good - and fairly traded - cause - have a look if you're thinking about Christmas shopping. Or if you're not.

There is some info about Stephanie, who founded the charity, here and further info. about it is available by email from ksdp.uk@lineone.net

Comments

natural attrill said…
WOW, Sally!
The fair looks amazing!! especially the felt piece, I wonder how they make it so 'lumpy'?!
Toby.
natural attrill said…
Thanks for sharing the pics, some beautiful things, was the fair the one at Ally Pally?
P.
lettuce said…
i'm not sure Toby - it was behind a table busy with a lot of people so i couldn't get close to really look - it might have been stitched?

it is a really good fair - yes penny, the one at the Ally Pally.
I'm so glad niddy noddy is in business again - I find weaving fascinating and shall keep uptodate with your measurements - metric or imperial!!

The show looks fabulous. There are some amazingly creative people out there, aren't there (you included of course!!!!).

Sue