plastic bag bags









These are bags I made a few years ago - kind of itching to do some more, but the time goes SO QUICKLY.

They are woven from plastic bags cut into strips (I once promised to post suggestions for the best way to cut the bags into strips, will try and fulfil that promise soon).
The warp is a multicoloured man-made yarn of some kind - good colour, though it was a bit slippery.

Woven on a box - wrapping the yarn around the box creates the warp threads, and then the plastic "yarn" is just woven through as weft, I did it using an upholstery needle.

If anyone reads this and would like more instructions on weaving on a box, please leave a comment and I'll try to find the instructions I used and scan and post them here.

Once the weaving was done, I ironed the boxes on a moderate heat, with greaseproof paper between the iron and the plastic - it melts and fuses the plastic, gives a nice effect. The diamond shape on at least one of these bags was where I left a bit un-ironed.
The handles are cord, wrapped around with plastic.

Et voila! I don't know how well these wear - I've given a few away, and the one I kept is used for knitting/sewing storage at the moment.

They are really fun to make.

Comments

tut-tut said…
I'm interested! esp. if it is quick to work up. got lots of UFOs at the moment, begging to be completed
tut-tut said…
How's Made4Aid coming? I went over and spied one of PG's felted critters!
Glassprimitif said…
Brilliant way fo recycling. Love it.
natural attrill said…
fabulous colours!
Penny.
Avid Reader said…
I'd like to make one.
lettuce said…
will post instructions soon! busybusy at the mo.... but should slow down in a week or so
natural attrill said…
i like the green/purple ones best....
toby.
=]