peg bag



I've been crocheting with plastic bags again - annoying my family by making noisey rustling noises whilst watching TV.



This is a replacement peg bag for a friend - the one I made him a few years ago has worn out.

One day maybe there will be no more plastic bags, which will be a good thing - but in the meantime, I love making these.




I tried to be a bit neater this time, and looked up some instructions an' all. I was quite pleased with my square base



but from thereon up - pretty wonky!



Still, I don't suppose straightness and neatness matter too much, for a peg bag..

The the best method I've come across for cutting the bags into strips is here - and this lady's work is proof that plastic bag crochet doesn't have to be either untidy or wonky - look at her sea creatures. Her work is just amazing.

Also, this method of cutting up bags is less rustley than other methods I've tried. Though my family might tell you otherwise.


If you like crochet and haven't had a go at crocheting with plastic bags - do try! really. Its so much fun. It leads to aquisitive eyeing up of other peoples' plastic bags whilst shopping - but really, its worth the risk.

Comments

Jasmine said…
Your bag is stunning. I love that it is made out of recycled plastic too. You are very talented.

There is a group on Facebook called plastic is not fantastic, It has so much statistical data showing just how destructive plastic is, especially packaging and plastic bags. Its nice to see them finding a new life.
Lizzie said…
I love your bag and the colors you chose. Simply marvelous! :)
Anonymous said…
this is fantastic, looking at it its hard to believe its made from carrier bags, very innovative, such a cool way to use those plastic bags, thank you for sharing :) i'm wanting to learn to crochet, when i do i'll have a go at using up some plastic too.. chuckling at the thought of eyeing up other peoples plastic bags teehee and creative rustling in the evenings x
Laura said…
this is wicked awesome! But where do you find such colorful bags? Here where I live they are usually a yucky yellowy brownish color.

I feel inspired to recycle in a new creative way...thanks (even if my creations are a yucky yellowy brownish color.

laura
ArtSparker said…
What fun, at least you know you're audible - Should I send you any colored plastic bags I come across?
lettuce said…
thanks Jasmine - it is very satisfying using them in this way and giving them new extra life! they last pretty well, though my own peg bag also needs repair/replacing soon.

thanks lizzie.

greenwhisper - do have a go, its very fun and does involve both filching and rustling

laura, hello! only just saw your comment. where you do you live? they're mostly quite colourful in the UK - this one included quite a lot of Sainsburys and Argos, and the blue ones are from the market. I've got pretty good at always carrying bags with me and avoiding the need for yet more plastic bags, but my husband less so. So when he comes back with shopping in new bags I give him a hard time for being so non-green, and am also pleased if the bags are interesting colours...

hello ArtSparker! how nice to see you here. Well i suppose you could if they have no other destiny. Or maybe you should send them to Laura!