Rag-button bags

On the same warp as the tea cosy recently finished, I also wove 2 bags.

The warp colours were kind of predetermined, because I had the yarn to use up, and I'm trying to design projects around what I have in my cupboard, rather than buying more..... much as its a temptation... gorgeous stuff to be bought.....

For the tea cosy, I went with orange, yellow and red to contrast with the blues. Partly because my natural inclination is towards either neutral/natural colours, or blues and greens. So every now and then I push myself in the direction of unexpected and brighter colours.

After the exertions of the red, yellow and oranges in the tea cosy, and in a rather lurid sampler which I also did - experimenting with this 4 layered-technique - I found myself irresistibly returning to my more usual palette, for the bags I made.




This one is not quite finished - the handles were woven into extra warp threads, left long at the sides - and i have some substantial ends which I think are asking to be made into tassels, or something similar. (what do you think?)




These did represent a bit of a learning curve. For the tea cosy, I wove the weft closer and tighter, to be sure that it would be tea-worthy and reasonably hard-wearing. On the bags, the weft wasn't really close/tight enough to be secure, so I've had to do quite a bit of finishing by hand to make sure that these little bits of rag and the buttons wont fall out, leaving a trail of buttons etc. behind me. This is quite ironic, because the weaving technique means that bags are made almost as finished items - woven as a tube, front and back, joined at the sides and along the bottom..... and should have come off the loom almost ready to use! Tch! still, I'll know better next time .....






But I think they are now almost finished, and secure, and usable..... I might keep one of them for myself....

Comments

natural attrill said…
I love the way the buttons and fabrics are inside the layers, very pretty.
Penny.
Shammickite said…
That is really gorgeous! What kind of loom do you use?
Merisi said…
Oh so pretty!
Are you selling it?
lettuce said…
thanks - I was really pleased with it too.

It was done on a table top loom (similar to the one I have at home too) (possibly a Harris loom? not sure) - woven on 8 shafts, as I was working with 4 layers at once.

No, I don't think I'll be selling it. Probably one for me, one for a friend....
Molly Bloom said…
This bag is just so lovely and the tea-cosy too. Wonderful. The colours, you could almost eat this!! I love the blue of it. Intense. And I think my face went a similarly intense colour of green at the buttons you got. Oh, they are so much fun. Wonderful! Brilliant blues and buttons!
Meg said…
Lovely! The double-weave-with-objects-between-layers I have seen have been, except one, rather boring, but this is lovely - with this warp/weft combination, I can also see a beach-based bag with shells and sea sponges and other finds.