knitted felted bag

l

This is my first completed knitted and felted bag - its a great pattern, from here
and I've been able to start using up some huge cones of fine but rather boring wool. Combined and knitted at least 3 or 4 strands together makes them much more interesting.


This felted well - the stitches are just about discernable, but it looks more felty than knitty. I tried felting at 30 or 40', but it just wasn't good enough. So in the end, I just put this (in a pillow case) into a 90' wash with a sheet, and then when it came out left it to dry over a cake tin which was just right for size - this helped give it a good shape, esp. around the base.



I knitted this on 5.5mm needles, I think the pattern says larger? I've just felted the 2nd bag, which I knitted on 6.5 but its not felted as well, I'll use the smaller needles next time.

I'd not thought ahead about pockets - and didn't think it needed lining. So I added some pockets in vintage fabric, and one little felt pocket.

Comments

tut-tut said…
Did you get some cotton cording to reinforce the handles? Works like a charm.

Looks great! How's your washing machine?
natural attrill said…
Lovely bag!
Penny.
lettuce said…
Tut-tut, I thought about it - but once felted the wool is really strong, I don't think it needs it.

Washing machine seems fine.
:-)

I've just re-felted a second bag - knitted on larger needles, and the first felting just wasn't quite enough.... I'm happy with it now I think.

thanks Penny.
joyce said…
just enjoying these now Lettuce, reading about them on your blog.
These bags are super splendid.
thanks so much. I see in the sidebar that you are hoping to start made4aid in June. Can't wait.